Living between bridges

Living between bridges

Thursday, June 25, 2009

JPop

Last year, I was suddenly attacked by serious 80´s nostalgia. I felt like reviewing the Ska Scene.
I came across these 5 Girls from Osaka,
OreskaBand. I was surprised by their sound and their energy. Reminds me the emotion and power I felt on the gig of Dexy´s Midnight runner´s in 1982.

I particularly enjoyed “Hana no suka dance”, “Pinocchio” (from the Maga series Naruto) and a version of “Monkey Man” of The Specials.
Rico Rodrigues, who used to play with The Specials, made a record with these Jgirls: “Japa Rico”


On the 14th of march Shonen Knife performed at SuperDeluxe in Nishi Azabu.
Comments: “…the set consisted mainly of super-safe punk-pop tunes, and the lyrics seemed to be all about sweets (or other eating related experiences, one song was about food poisoning) the girls played super-tight, and their harmonies were glorious…”
It´s an all jgirls band formed in Osaka during 1981, Influenced by alt-rock's elite (Sonic Youth, Nirvana, and Redd Kross, among others).
The group has occasionally performed as The Osaka Ramones, a tribute to The Ramones


I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

No comments: